Wednesday 11 April 2012

Help!

You may have noticed that my nails have been getting progressively shorter and shorter for the last few weeks. This is because they have been splitting and breaking like nobody's business! While I'm very lucky in that I can wear whatever nail polish I fancy to work, what I do is not very kind towards my nails. It probably doesn't help that I change my polish every couple of days at the moment - so I'm using nail polish remover more and therefore drying my nails out more.

Here is what I have done so far to try and combat the damage:

- Switched to a nail polish remover that doesn't contain acetone. It works fine on cremes but is useless on glitter
- Started taking skin, hair & nail vitamins (as of today)
- Considered changing my nail shape to something more oval than squoval as I believe they will snag less...but I'm awfully attached to the squoval shape and not sure I can bear to change it!

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any suggestions for anything else I can do? For example, can you recommend a nourishing base coat (preferably an inexpensive one) that really works? I normally use OPI Natural Nail Base Coat, which is fine beneath polish but does nothing for the nails themselves. I would really appreciate some advice. I know breaking a nail is very much a first world problem, but it still bothers me!

2 comments:

  1. I used to have acrylic nails, and did so for a few years. When I went for my interview for college in June of last year I found out I wouldn't be able to have them due to health and safety. I was so gutted, but I went and got them removed the next day so my nails would have a chance to recover.
    Sadly, when I had them taken off... My nails were paper thin. Literally. In the past I had tried to grow natural nails but between being a nail biter and having naturally weak nails, it never worked - and neither did any of the strengtheners I tried. Anyway, this time round I used OPI Nail Envy. Bit expensive at nearly £20 a bottle but it was a last resort. And I've never looked back. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold. By the time I started college in September my nails were lovely. Not 100% but definitely a million times better than they were. I haven't stopped using it, it's the only base coat I will use. My nails now are so strong. They still peel a bit and split but that's just my genes!
    I can't recommend it any more, it was literally a lifesaver. In fact, when I started college, the tutor said, Oh you'll have to have those removed and was very surprised when I told her they were my real nails!
    I know this was a bit of an essay but Nail Envy is soooooo worth it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I did consider OPI Nail Envy but held off on actually buying it because I wasn't sure it was worth the money. But I've taken your advice and ordered a bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete