Friday 10 February 2012

Foodie Friday: Amaretti Biscuits

As well as nail polish, one of my other great passions is baking. I love making cakes and biscuits and whatnot - not only because I can eat the end result, but because it gives me great pleasure to see family and friends enjoying my food. I thought I'd share one of my favourite recipes with you today. Not only is it so quick and easy that anyone can do it, but the biscuits taste bloody brilliant, too!

Amaretti biscuits are almond-flavoured macaroons from Italy. The ones you buy in shops tend to be hard and crunchy, but fresh ones are moister and chewier. They go brilliantly with a cup of tea or coffee, but I also like I eat them on their own. This isn't my recipe, I found it online somewhere a few years ago and have been whipping them up regularly ever since. It makes anywhere between 20 to 30 biscuits, depending on what size you choose to make them.

Ingredients:
4 eggs, whites only
340g ground almonds
340g caster sugar
40ml Amaretto liqueur or almond essence

1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3. Separate the egg whites into a bowl and beat until firm (I use an electric whisk because I'm lazy!).
2. Mix in the ground almonds and caster sugar gently. The egg whites are the only raising agent in these biscuits, so you want to try and keep as much air in the mixture as possible.
3. Fold in the amaretto liqueur or almond essence until it makes a smooth paste.
4. Place some greaseproof paper on a baking sheet. Put teaspoons of the mixture onto the paper about 2cm apart. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
5. Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment